25 January 2013

Reasons




I used to believe that everything happened for a reason.

Sometimes things don't work out the way you'd like them to because God has another plan for you or because He needs you to be somewhere other than where you think you should be.

Recently I've had some experiences that have meant the world to me. Little things. But they meant so much.

Today was a faith building kind of day. I woke up "on the wrong side of the bed". If you know me at all (Elizabeth) you know that I am NOT a morning person. Today was no exception. Typically I prefer not speaking for the first few hours. Another side effect of not being a morning person, I don't want to be touched, so being jammed into a bus with thousands of Ukrainians like a sardine, not my cup of tea first thing in the morning. Fast forward to leaving for work. I'm walking to the bus stop and I see a trolleybus, my trolleybus, pass by. I missed it. And it was nearly empty! Which is rare during "rush hour". I was frustrated. If I had just left 2 minutes earlier I could've been on that bus, with my perfectly unviolated bubble. Now I had to wait and wait and wait, and it was cold. So I waited. Next trolleybus comes and just my luck, its full. Me and 25 more people miraculously make it on to the trolleybus. Still grumpy we get to the metro stop where everyone gets off, myself included. That's when I see the reason I missed that first bus...

An acquaintance of mine, who happens to be blind, was on the same trolleybus. I had the opportunity of helping him. But here's the kicker. I had seen him on the same route several months before, and didn't help, just watched to make sure he made it okay because I was too scared to actually do anything. Today was my chance to do it right. It turned out to be an amazing blessing in my life and hopefully at least a little blessing in his. We had a great conversation and he was grateful. My perspective changed dramatically. Instead of thinking about all the things that were not right in my life, I started instead to think about how grateful I was for the things I did have. I had an "everything happens for a reason" moment and a flicker of that faith that I once had at all times. What a huge blessing! And I made a new friend!

Then after my morning classes I decided to go for a walk outside to enjoy the rare sunshine, and off my beaten path I found a lady selling an item that I previously thought could not be found in Ukraine. Some friends had been looking for ice grippers, and I could not find them anywhere, nor had I ever seen anyone(except Americans) wearing them. But lo and behold today I found some being sold. Not only that but I was able to talk to the lady about them, their cost, her "schedule" for her sidewalk shop, and other locations where they could be bought. I was able to communicate...in a language that I previously thought I would NEVER be able to speak!

It boosted my confidence in myself and my abilities and tonight I ordered pizza for delivery and I did it in Russian! And then had an effective conversation with the door lady of the apartment building.

So even though I am not fluent, and my Russian is most definitely not perfect...I'm going to bask in this moment for just a little bit. I spend so much time beating myself up for not being better. It's kind of nice to appreciate my progress for a change.

So...everything happens for a reason. Either to give a chance to be Heavenly Father's hands and serve/bless others, to humble us, or to make us realize that we might just have a little awesome in us... If you're frustrated because things aren't going the way you expected them to...open your eyes, maybe there is a reason things are happening the way that they are and not the way you wanted them to. Don't let your frustration keep you from seeing opportunities where ever you go and in whatever you do.

4 comments:

Gage said...

Christina, I think you are amazing. Both of those stories are awesome, but especially that you were able to help your friend.

I am AMAZED that you have picked up, moved to another country and adapted so well to a new culture. You are so inspiring!

On another note - you didn't win the giveaway :( But I'd love to get a CD to you. Can I mail one to someone in the US to send you when you get a package or something like that?

Devin said...

Thank you for posting, this helped me see a bit how small blessings have been in my life--especially now as head teacher!

Unknown said...

I find it interesting how much the Lord really is in our lives when we just step back and reflect. And Heavenly Father is always looking for ways to show us just how awesome his children are. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

MILEX said...

powerful, I love it